4.25.2008

Umm, looks like newspapers still face an uphill battle

Either newspapers are not giving their readers what they want to read and see or maybe people are just learning to be more effective in using the web. If I use a newspaper's RSS feed on each topic of my choosing, I don't have to spend as much time on the site. Let's take that one step further – if I use GoogleReader for that feed and the tease doesn't interest me I won't click on the story anyway.

Being a purist about journalism and what is important to the community is critical to creating quality journalism, but if the community doesn't care until something spirals out of control how do you maintain an effective audience? As media outlets drive 120mph with their hair on fire to the online realm -with an occasional brake check for no reason whatsoever- the online outlet really needs to have tons of forethought. Still a long way to go in the transition from a dinosaur to Optimus Prime.

No comments: